As a card-carrying member of Generation Y, I can tell you that social media has become indelibly tied to everyday life.
And as a card-carrying member of Generation Y, I can tell you that it is maddening at worst and irritating at best. Whether people post bizarre Father’s Day updates written to dads without Facebook or feel the need to tell Twitter about their bowel movements (which is, in fact, a thing that happens), young people are masters when it comes to oversharing. Sadly, the phenomenon has caught on with older generations as well. You’re welcome, society at large.
Here are a few people who really, really need to put their phones down, take a deep breath, and walk away before they share 140 more characters of word garbage that absolutely no one asked for.
1. This went from cute to crazy real quick.
2. I just feel like Facebook shouldn’t be this hard to understand.
3. I mean…when it’s time to move on, it’s time to move on.
4. My brain has no idea what to do with this information.
5. Everything hurts.
6. I’m sure there’s a long list of people who care about this in any way, right?
7. “My 13-year-old daughter hasn’t talked to my sorry ass in weeks.”
8. See? What did I tell you? Bowel movements.
9. I’m sensing a pattern here.
10. An overshare within an overshare. Inception.
11. I don’t know how I could’ve gone on without this information.
12. Hard to ghost people when you’re Facebook friends.
13. Where do I get off this ride?
15. I never thought sexual tension with Mr. Clean would be a thing, but here we are.
16. Valid question.
17. I’m just really excited that she tagged the bar.
18. There are so many things happening here.
19. You’re certainly the only one who posts about it on Twitter.
20. Don’t we all?
That’s it. I’m out.